A Kitchen Experiment

April 20, 2012 § Leave a comment

Six months ago, my uncle Pat/Ray shared with me a trial-and-error process he and his wife had embarked upon, to recreate a cheese flan they’d feasted on while in Spain. Last night, I finally attempted it. It seemed I was always shy of one of the ingredients whenever I’d dig up the email he sent from my archives. As is typical of my baking style, I began this recipe at 8:30 p.m. or so and slid the barely cooled ramekins in the fridge right at 11 p.m.

“Cheese flan” does not describe this dish at all. Maybe flan does, but the cheese part is somewhat misleading. The recipe uses mascarpone cheese which always makes my mouth water and ears perk up when I hear the word.

The ingredients are simple, and the combining process equally so; it’s just the waiting that gets you. These babies have to bake for an hour or more. So, if you’ve got the time and desire to indulge in something that’s not quite a pudding, not quite a custard, but the best of both of those sweets with a creme brulee-y crust to boot…then here’s your game plan.

You’ll need:

– 5 or 6 ramekins (I used 5 and they were 7 oz. size)

– 8 oz.mascarpone cheese at room temperature

– half a can of sweetened condensed milk

– 2 cups of heavy cream

– a dash of vanilla

– 2 eggs

Preheat an oven to 325 degrees. Get a baking dish or broiler pan that is big enough and deep enough to hold all your ramekins. You’ll be making a water bath in it.

Whisk the mascarpone, milk, and heavy cream until very smooth. I did this by hand, but you could use a mixer with the whisk attachment.  Add your splash of vanilla and combine. In a separate bowl, vigorously whisk 2 eggs until thoroughly mixed and then add to the milk mixture, whisking until the whole thing is silky, creamy and thick.

Spray your ramekins with cooking spray and then pour the mixture evenly among them. My uncle said to fill within a quarter of an inch of the top edge, but I think I overdid it a tad. That may be why I only ended up with 5 ramekins-full.

Place the ramekins in your dish, and then carefully fill with water as high up the sides of the ramekins as you can go without overflowing the holding pan. Then, veerrrryyyyy gently, transfer the now very heavy dish to your pre-heated oven.

I checked mine at 30 minute intervals, twice, and then let it go for another 10 or 12 minutes maybe. You’re looking for a golden brown crust and some jiggle when you gently shake the ramekins, but not a purely liquid slosh. Once they’ve reached this precise state, remove the pan from the oven and let them sit in the water for a few minutes. I removed mine to cool on a rack after this stage, because I think leaving them in the bath makes them continue to cook. Try to let them cool to room temperature. If you don’t wait, it’s still really tasty, just borderline soupy. I couldn’t wait, obviously. I did let the rest of them cool and then covered them in foil and stashed in the fridge. The one I had this morning (read: glutton) was much more “set up” with a slight crunch from the stippled crust that blankets the creamy goodness underneath. This flan/custard/pudding is a beautiful ivory color, and it glides so pleasingly over your tongue, almost melting a bit as you let it linger.


My uncle suggested 1-2 eggs; 1 if large, 2 if small. I plopped 2 eggs in mine without really thinking, but maybe they were on the large side. Perhaps 1 egg would have made it less runny?


Share your Thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

What’s this?

You are currently reading A Kitchen Experiment at Feeling Full.


%d bloggers like this: